One proven way to help build students’ reading skills and strategies is through oral language activities. Providing students with opportunities to practice oral language can help strengthen a student’s ability to express thoughts, feelings, knowledge, and ideas.
The Simple View of Reading (Gough and Tunmer, 1986) tells us that reading comprehension is the product of decoding and language comprehension. To build strong readers with solid reading comprehension, we need both decoding skills and language skills, which include strong oral language skills.
Use this set of 75+ Oral Language Activities in your classroom to support your Pre-K through 1st grade learners!
Inside you will find:
- 21 Read Aloud Questions and Discussion Cards (for before, during, and after reading)
- 21 Vocabulary Discussion Cards
- 21 Social Scenario Cards
- 12 Emotion Conversation Cards
- 21 Teacher-Led Game Cards
Instructions on how to assemble and organize the cards!
If you are looking to build a solid foundation with the science of reading research in mind, this is the place for you to begin!
Check out these other Science of Reading Resources!
- Decodable Readers and Lesson Kits
- Science of Reading Centers
- Decodable Readers for Science of Reading Small Group Curriculum
- Phonological Awareness Activities and Phonemic Awareness Activities
I am happy to answer any questions you may have before making your purchase. I hope you enjoy this resource in your classroom!