What students DON’T enjoy singing and rhythmic poems? Poetry is the perfect way to integrate literacy and science as you are inviting the students to practice reading with you-shared reading! With these fun, rhythmic, songs/poems, students enjoy reading along with the teacher each day as they focus on a different reading skill or strategy.
This resource includes:
- 3 weeks of poems and songs in print and Google Slides™ (2 styles of each poem)
- a whole group phonics pocket chart sort in print and Google Slides ™
- 2 phonics cut-and-paste practice activities for each week
- a suggested teaching sequence for the week
The poem topics and phonics activities included are:
- I Can Be a Scientist: real and nonsense words
- Let’s Stay Healthy: beginning sounds
- My Five Senses: ending sounds
How else can I use these materials?
- Use the paper copies of the poem in a poetry station
- Use the phonics pocket chart sort in a pocket chart or word workstation
- Use the cut-and-paste activities as morning work, homework, or in a word work station after you have completed the pocket chart sort whole group
- Add the poem to a poetry folder and reread to help build fluency
- Assign the poem through your distance learning platform